Oxford Chair Classic
Arne Jacobsen Oxford Chair
The original version of the Oxford chair was designed for the professors of St. Catherine's College in Oxford. The chair's extra tall back served as a symbol of prestige and created a space of its own. The "professor's chair" later evolved in the the Oxford series. In spite of initial protests and uproar over the commission of a foreign modernist, Arne Jacobsen received a honorary doctorate from Oxford upon completion of the project. Today, this ground breaking example of total design is considered some of Arne Jacobsen's most outstanding work.
Designer: Arne Jacobsen, 1965
Manufacturer: Fritz Hansen
Low-back/fixed seat: 19.7"w (23.6" w/armrest) | 21.2"d | 35.8"h | 18.5" seat height
Medium-back, fixed seat: 19.7"w (23.6" w/armrest) | 22.4"d | 40.1"h | 18.5" (18.9") seat height
High-back/fixed seat: 19.7"w (23.6" w/armrest) | 23.6"d | 49.6" h | 18.5" seat height
- Base is satin-polished 5-star aluminum available in fixed height or adjustable height, with or without castors.
- Chairs with fixed seat height have a spring function.
- Chairs with adjustable height have a tilt mechanism and casters with aluminum caps.
- Select from armless or polished aluminum arms, and High, Medium, or Low seat back in a wide range of fabric and leather upholstery options.
- Chair shell is made of laminated molded sliced veneer.
The Oxford series also includes a line of optional accessories (automatic return, leather arm pads, mirror chrome base, and mirror chrome base and arms).
Contact us, we'd love to help you customize your Oxford Chair.